Sunday, July 29, 2012

Why DSLR?

From day one I knew that I was going to go with a DSLR for my scene assignment. Although I did not get the DSLR of my choice ( Canon 7D being the one I was most interested in) I believe that the Canon 5D will be just as great for my assignment, plus it gives me the opportunity to also work with this camera.

For months I have made numerous plans to finally give in make the big purchase and by my DSLR camera, but I knew that I did not only want to base my decision off of research but also off of getting to actually use the camera. About two weeks ago I checked out the Canon 7D to play around with and instantly fell in love. The next day while working on our group DSLR assignment, I got to test out the Zeiss lens and once again I FELL IN LOVE.  The way that the 7D captured rich color and detail with the Zeiss lens caught my interest immediately, but don't get me wrong the lens is not what made my decision for my love of the DSLR.

These camera's have their pros and their cons also. They ability to create shallow depth of field is something that I enjoy with this camera, I enjoy how this camera has the ability to create a shallow depth of field this is also a plus since photography is also an interest of mine. SIZE the size of the camera compared to other camera's in class is very important, it is very convenient and not as bulky as other cameras that I could have chosen like EX3, JVU HMU 100, SONY HD, etc. I find this to be a wonderful aspect of the camera, the lighter the equipment the easier to carry, move around on set, and makes the production workload easier. The way that the camera has the ability to capture light very well, not all locations (exterior) are able to do this perfectly, but I enjoy the very clear smooth and detailed imagery that camera produces.

At first I was a little upset that I did not get the 7D for my scene assignment, but after much thought I was actually glad that I am using the 5D instead. Although the 7D is much newer, the 5D actually happens to be the better camera (also the more expensive camera also CON). This also helps me get a feel for how I enjoy the 5D compared to the 7D. I can research and research and research on which camera I would rather make my big purchase on, but getting that extra hands on experience and usage of each camera will make the decision A LOT easier for me when I finally make this purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment