Sunday, July 29, 2012

Midterm Reflections-What I've Learned So Far



One of the biggest things that I've gained so far from this class is figuring out what I am more interested in career wise. From the beginning I knew that I wanted to major in something in the TCF Department, but I was never 100% what it was that I exactly wanted to do. 

Taking this classes has opened up my eyes a lot to many aspects of film making. All the little things like pre-production, production, and post-production. There are so many different details, from cameras, lighting, editing, and camera movements, that I have learned from this class. Honestly to be I believe that taking TCF 201 prepares you for this class, but it does not prepare you for all the time and dedication that you have to put into this class. I was worried about taking this class in the summer term, because I was unsure if I would miss something that I could possibly learn in the Fall since there would be more time, but I was wrong. I have learned so much more than I expected from this course and I have enjoyed it.

Going from only using the JVC HMU100 and basic lighting kit to Sony EX3, DSLRs, Kino Lighing and Arri lighting was a big plus for me. Unlike others I never enjoyed working with the JVC, even when I did my first assignments in 201 with the JVC I knew that I wanted to work with something better. Minus a couple of post production problems (which also help me realize that I need to take Intro to Post) I enjoyed doing my portrait assignment with the Sony HDV. I wanted to use something different, the workflow in post was not a big issue for me, and I love the way it captured the natural light compared to the JVC when we did our filter assignments. I also got out of this class that there is so much more to editing than I ever expected, taking the time to transcode video files correctly, to exporting differently.

Another thing is time. This class requires a lot of time and work (minus the recent personal events from these past two weeks that have made me fall behind) I realized that a lot of work and time has to be devoted this class. If you aren't willing to put in at least 95% percent of your time then it isn't the class for. We are expected to do so much and learn so much in a short amount of time that there is no way that anyone could be able to have a full time job, more classes than this, and second part time job.

I  know that there are still parts that I am struggle with especially directing. I am able to picture, create, and know what I want, but unable to communicate that into what I want on screen. I find myself asking for conformation that what I have looks okay or explain what it is that I exactly want. I know that directing will take me time, but I find myself having more interest in the DP side. Lighting scenes correctly and filming is them is what I enjoy the most. I am very confident in my scene lighting skills, I have taught myself what work and what doesn't.

So far I have enjoyed this class, I have learned so much and I feel comfortable with being able to use these skills and hopefully perfect them soon. This class has helped me prepared myself for shooting outside of school. I hope to start working on my own projects in the fall, getting to know other TCF students outside of our class, and having the opportunity to possibly work with them/feel comfotable working with them in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment